Monday, October 15, 2012

Blessings of Immeasurable Worth

I'm no stranger to the saying that blessings come in all sorts of shapes and sizes and usually when you least expect them. I've witnessed it happening at several pivotal moments in my life. I must say though that these last two weeks have been full of nothing short of trials and tests and ultimately the revealing of the loving hands of a Father that desires to shower His children with His richest blessings.

I believe some of the richest blessings are in the people that you come in contact with throughout the course of your life. Some of them are there to refine you. Some are there to strengthen and sharpen you. Others are there to shape and mold. And a precious group of them are there to become more like your family.

Recently I've been introduced to a group of people that make you feel as though you are a part of a family. I had often heard the pledge drive on the radio and thought to myself that I really should make the time to go volunteer, but it always seemed like there was something blocking my schedule from participating. This year I decided that it was going to be different and I was going to be a part of it no matter what. Through the training course, I distinctly heard God telling me that this was exactly where He wanted me to be. Furthermore, I had a story to share. For those who don't know me well, you should know that I keep a lot of things to myself and rarely share them with people I don't know. It's one of those deep rooted protection mechanisms that I have a hard time relinquishing control. There was something different about this group. There was a feeling of safety there. So after learning where to submit my story, I wrote out the brief version and sent it in. No big deal, and really not a second thought about this act of obedience.

About a week later, I arrived for my first volunteer shift. It was an absolutely incredible atmosphere to be in, almost overwhelming at first. Shortly after arriving, I found the sweet lady responsible for sending out the birthday cards for the station and knew I needed to express my thanks in person. In doing so, I had an opportunity to share a bit about the two heart testimony I had written about. I went back to my chair and took a couple of calls before supper arrived. Before long, I had another opportunity to share my story and found out that my story was on the station website... I was shocked to say the least. I knew an opportunity to share this part of my testimony was coming but I had no idea that it was going to be in this manner.

This experience has introduced me to a group of people that I absolutely consider to be a part of that special group I call my "family of friends." They are all special to me. It is not very often that you find a group of people that greet you warmly, no matter where you see them, like this group. I know that this experience was just another way of Father God reaching down and hugging me with human arms. They are a blessing of immeasurable worth to me... Their names? I hope I get them all... Carrie, Mike, Jennifer, Jeff, Kevin, Chad, Troy, Margie, Jill, and Anna... Plus countless others from the "phone zone." It's an experience I will not soon forget.
How has God blessed you today?

No comments:

Post a Comment